8 December 2000 ... Animals I have known
My Companion Animals
I just realized that all my little ones have been some combination of black
and white. Isn't that strange?
- Ta, Ty, Spotella
- These girls were my first mice. They were white with black markings.
- A fat black female mouse with a white stripe going from her forehead all
the way to her tummy.
- Another mouse, white with black markings. The coloration is called piebald
in horses, hence her name.
- My psychotic albino rat. I got her 1991 or so, and she started college
- My guinea pig who died recently. He was an agouti mix, black with
white ticking, cream underside, white markings on his back and face,
a single rosette on his forehead.
My Parent's Cats
- I think this was a female long haired torty.
I was a baby and I remember the cat really didn't like me much. heh
- A kitten we got in 1982/3, I was 9 or 10. It died as a kitten.
- A grey and white long hair we got when I was ten. I grew up with
this cat. She died a couple years ago.
- A white male with lovely blue eyes. This is my parents current lion
of the house.
Other People's Pets
I pet sitted for a couple of people when I was a kid. The dog next door
was Dancer, a collie mix. There was a black dog who dragged me around the
lake on our walks. And the dog that belonged to Cathy S... I think it was
a blond cocker. My grandparents had a little black cocker spanial named
- Grade School
- There was an Appaloosa named Roney. He was a barrel horse in his former
life and surprised me once when I took him around the poles... he suddenly
had some spark in his step, he shed his lesson horse persona in a cloud
of dust behind him.
- High School
- '76, a chestnut Quarter Horse, and yes, '76 was his name, maybe he was
born in 1976, I don't know. Remarkable in my mind only because he
was one of about a dozen chestnut Quarter Horses in the pasture, and I was
always bringing in the wrong horse. Then there was Star, a huge chestnut
horse I loved to ride. I remember falling off Star once, looking up at
him as I was falling, seeing the look of extreme surprise on his face as
he tried not to step on me. ha. He was a cool horse.
- Quail Run Ranch
- Marty was "my" horse. A big chestnut Saddlebred, born to be a champion,
but got caught in barbed wire. He had scars on his hind ankles and a trot
almost too rough to sit and it was difficult for him to canter. No one else
rode him. I fell off once and got a concussion. That was the last time I
fell off a horse.
- Paint Horse Stables
- Gidget was "my" horse here. A big dark colored mare. She was an older
horse, and truth be told she was a hard headed bitch that no one else liked
to ride, but I wrangled off her all the time.
- Athens Vet
- Really, too many to list here, tho the list is getting shorter as my
memory of the place fades. Maybe a journal topic for another time.
It's not a very complete list. But hey, at least it's a journal entry.
The entries have been few and far between around here lately, I know.